BALTIMORE, Md. – Two school police officers are facing charges after one was caught on cell phone video beating a student and yelling profanities as the other stood by.
Baltimore Police announced Wednesday an investigation into a student cell phone video posted online last week resulted in multiple criminal charges against school police officers Anthony Spence, 44, and Saverna Bias, 53, the Baltimore Sun reports.
MORE NEWS: From Classroom to Consulate Chef: Culinary Student Lands Dream Job at U.S. Embassy in Paris
The roughly four second Facebook video shows Spence at Lake Clifton Eastern High School at the REACH! Partnership School repeatedly slapping a black 16-year-old male in the face and kicking the teen while yelling profanities last Tuesday morning.
The video was recorded discretely over the shoulder of another student, and shows Bias standing idle as her partner pummeled the boy.
A witness also said Bias told Spence, “You need to smack him because he’s got too much mouth,” which the victim collaborated, according to the Sun.
“We believe it was appropriate for both officers to be charged in this instance,” said attorney Lauren Geisser, who is representing the victim. “Officer Bias did, in fact, direct Officer Spence to strike my client.”
Spence’s attorney, Mike Davey, said the officer thought the teen was trespassing on school property and stopped him for questioning, which turned into an altercation. Neither of the officers, nor Davey, responded to requests for comment from ABC News.
School officials initially claimed the teen was an intruder and not a student at the school, but released a statement Friday acknowledging the 16-year-old is enrolled at REACH!
MORE NEWS: Know These Before Moving From Cyprus To The UK
Charles Gillman, who is also representing the victim, told ABC News he believes district officials “were trying to find anything they could to point the finger at the victim” by alleging he wasn’t a student.
Baltimore City Public Schools CEO Gregory Thorton said he was “appalled and disappointed” by the video.
“Every emotion from outrage to disappointment went through me,” he said.
Thornton claims the attack was an “isolated incident,” but said school officials are “taking a closer look at system improvements” nonetheless. The officers were placed on paid leave after the video surfaced on Facebook, as was school police chief Marshall Goodwin, though the reason for his suspension is unclear.
Baltimore police investigated the incident, and school police also initiated an internal investigation.
Baltimore police concluded the officers were on duty at the time, Spence was not attempting to make an arrest, and was “not acting in reasonable self-defense,” the Sun reports.
Arrest warrants were issued for both officers Tuesday and they turned themselves in for processing and were released on $50,000 unsecured bonds, meaning they are not required to pay the bond unless they don’t show up for court.
Spence faces charges of second-degree child abuse, second-degree assault and misconduct in office, while Bias is only charged with the latter two offences.
Both officers were initially suspended with pay, but Spence is now on leave without pay because the child abuse charge is a felony, Baltimore School Police Chief Akil Hamm told the Sun.
The incident prompted the NAACP to request that the Department of Justice expand an ongoing civil rights investigation of the Baltimore Police Department to the separate school police, as well.
It also highlighted both officers’ history of questionable behavior.
According to the Sun:
Spence was one of two Baltimore sheriff’s deputies who were fired in 2003 after a wrongful Taser attack that sparked outrage in the Hispanic community, The Baltimore Sun reported at the time.
The deputies mistook a Salvadoran construction worker for a bank robber and arrested him at lunchtime in Lexington Market. A third officer used the Taser on him twice, injuring him. …
In 2011, Spence’s girlfriend, who also was a school police officer, got a protective order against him.
According to her account in court records, Spence struck her in the face outside a Charles Street hair salon. The girlfriend said that he tried to prevent her from driving away and that she grabbed her police radio and called for assistance from school police officers.
Court records show Bias was charged with second-degree assault and carrying a dangerous weapon with intent to injure in April 2011. Police said then that Bias threw a bottle of alcohol at a man. The bottle missed, the man refused to press charges, and the case was shelved.
Villanova University criminology professor Kelly Welch, an expert at inner city school discipline tactics, said she doesn’t buy the district’s “isolated incident” claims.
“I’m skeptical of hearing that this is a one-time incident,” she said. “What are the odds that the one time it happens it was recorded?”
“Officers who are charged with protecting students in schools are treating them more like prisoners,” Welch added.


Join the Discussion
Comments are currently closed.