ARLINGTON, Mass. – Police believe a Massachusetts middle school student who claimed to have received racist text messages from a classmate actually “created the narrative and fabricated the story.”
In late June, a parent reported to Arlington Police that his child received a “series of text messages that included racial epithets,” Arlington Police Chief Frederick Ryan told the Advocate.
MORE NEWS: From Classroom to Consulate Chef: Culinary Student Lands Dream Job at U.S. Embassy in Paris
A 12-year-old girl at Ottoson Middle School reportedly directed the messages to an Indian boy, according to The Boston Globe.
“A woman who forwarded the messages to The Boston Globe said the perpetrator sent the texts to her son last week, with the intent that her son relay the messages to another boy whose family is from India,” the news site reported June 28. “She said her son is a friend of the child of Indian descent.”
Both police and school officials launched investigations into the sixth-grader’s accusations.
On Wednesday, they presented their findings in a joint press release: the accusing student “created the narrative and fabricated the story.”
“The allegation of racist texts being sent from one middle school student to another was concerning and hurtful to the entire community and I am disappointed that a student would falsify a report of this nature,” Arlington Superintendent Kathleen Bodie said in the release.
“We took this matter seriously,” Ryan said. “We’re happy to have been able to bring it to a quick resolution.”
MORE NEWS: Know These Before Moving From Cyprus To The UK
The announcement stated that police have not filed criminal charges and are working with school officials to address the student who accused his classmate of racism.
The racist text scandal is only the latest in a recent string of allegedly racist behavior at Ottoson this year.
In March, principal Timothy Ruggere sent a letter to parents about racist, anti-Semitic graffiti found in two school bathrooms. That incident prompted school officials to lecture students about “community standards of acceptable behavior” and contact the Human Rights Commission and Anti-Defamation League, according to the Globe.
The March graffiti was followed by a similar incident in April that convinced school officials to call in the police for a serious investigation, the Arlington Patch reports.
Numerous folks who commented about the police investigation into the allegedly racist text messages were flabbergasted that there was an investigation at all.
“Oh, for chirssakes give it a rest,” WilliamSlim1944 posted to the Globe comments.
“So the police are investigating text messages which, in the absence of a threat or threats to commit a crime, cannot be criminal in nature,” newstart2010 wrote. “Any other legal (non-criminal) conduct they’d like to investigate? Or even explain the authority they have to conduct such an investigation?”
“Wow … slow crime day in Arlington? My cat hissed at a bird the other day … I’m pretty sure he really hates that bird. Hoping the police don’t come knocking,” tishimselfinRI wrote.
“Depends on the color of the bird,” Pollepel countered.


Join the Discussion
Comments are currently closed.