STAMFORD, Conn. – State labor officials dispatched agents to a school construction site Thursday to investigate a teen boy who was learning the electrical trade from his father.
Department of Labor spokeswoman Nancy Steffens told the Stamford Advocate the agency learned about a 13-year-old who was helping his father install electronic white boards at the New School and investigated Thursday.
MORE NEWS: From Classroom to Consulate Chef: Culinary Student Lands Dream Job at U.S. Embassy in Paris
State inspectors attempted to stop the teen, but he disregarded their orders. State officials then called in the Stamford Police, Sgt. Carl Strate told the news site.
Officers forced the teen and his father off the site, a former Sacred Heart Academy building under a $77 million renovation to open as Rogers Magnet Elementary School for kindergarten and first graders in September.
Police made no arrests because there was no criminal activity.
“There was no criminal violation of risk of injury under our statutes,” Strate told the Advocate. “There was no criminality at all.”
Regardless, Steffens insisted the “situation was very dangerous” and pointed to labor rules against anyone under 18 using electrical tools or equipment. She said teens can participate in a “very limited” list of occupations, per state rules, according to the news site.
The New England Regional Council of Carpenters, of course, wasted no time in playing up the incident, which represented a clear threat to the union’s control over the trade locally.
MORE NEWS: Know These Before Moving From Cyprus To The UK
“For the richest city in Connecticut, in a first-world country, he should not be living a third-world nightmare,” union organizer Ted Duarte said. “I guess the thinking is if it’s for the kids, it should be built by kids.”
The Advocates archive of stories featuring the New England Regional Council of Carpenters makes it abundantly clear the union has a penchant for over-the-top theatrics.
“The craft of the electrician is probably the most dangerous there is because working with electricity can kill you,” Duarte told the Advocate, labeling the incident “deplorable.” “Was this kid trained?”
Lou Casolo, a city engineer overseeing the construction, said the digital whiteboards the teen was helping his father install “was a plug-and-play operation …”
Casolo said the teen’s work will be reviewed, but wasn’t sure how long the boy had been helping out.
The electrical contractor on the job was D.F. McDermott. The owner did not respond to the Advocate’s request for comment.
A Stamford Public Schools spokeswoman acknowledged the incident and provided a prepared statement about how “the safety of all children” is the district’s “top concern.”
State officials claim the incident provides an opportunity to remind Connecticut citizens that allowing teens to shadow trained professionals to learn a very valuable trade is strictly prohibited.
“With summertime being here and students being out of school,” Steffens told the Advocate, “it’s really important to remember that young people are not (to) be on work sites like that.”


Join the Discussion
Comments are currently closed.